Lyon & Healy Harps
168 N Ogden Ave.
When Bostonians George W. Lyon and Patrick J. Healy traveled to Chicago in 1864, their idea was to start selling sheet music. But the pair’s early success brought them to a different business of manufacturing musical instruments, a decision that would impact everyone from amateur musicians to top symphony orchestras. The company was one of the first in its industry to publish an illustrated catalog, which helped make the purchase of instruments more widely accessible. In 1889 the company built its first harp and within months would develop more in its new factory. The following year it introduced its Style 23 model, which has remained one of the most recognized harps in the world. Throughout the decades the company continued to introduce new models, including the Troubadour model in 1959, which was geared toward beginning players. Along with manufacturing the instrument, the company also presents concerts at Lyon & Healy Hall and sponsors harp competitions around the world.
Caption: Current location of Lyon & Healy Harps.